Monday, February 14, 2011

NOCAMERA

Cameraless filmmaking brings together the best of both worlds for me. I really have a love hate relationship with technology; digital camera menus, and most Mac software interfaces give me chills. However, I absolutely love making films. Predicament. Cameraless filmmaking allows me to make films with my most advanced piece of equipment being a pair of scissors. It’s amazing. So far, out of all the techniques we have learned, I am most into the magazine/newspaper transfers. Once projected, the image and texture looks unreal and the process for creating it could not be simpler. And the process is such an almost therapeutic experience. This past week, I spent a good amount of time cranking out a good 35 feet of a newspaper transfer. It was so relaxing and meditative and it was great to see my living room enshrouded with film strips. There is just something about pulling the pulp off a bunch of tape in a bucket of hot water that gets me.

The rayograms and direct film manipulation were also pretty interesting. It was cool to watch film get exposed right in front of me just by flipping the lights on and off. It was also really neat to develop the film with the instant developer. It was sorda like cooking spaghetti. The direct film manipulation is kind of tricky because you never know what you're going to get until you project it. I would love to just try 5 ft of every technique and idea I ever have and just project it and watch, but there is also something fun about not knowing what it will look like and just watching it unravel in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment